Friday, March 13, 2009

A Dead Bird, A Cleaned Room, A Couple Dozen Red Cookies


Lot happened yesterday (well, a lot in MY world, at least).


We came home yesterday to find feathers in the back porch. I thought maybe Murray (our evil Maltese/Shih Tsu/Bischon Mix) had gotten into the pillow on the couch, but no... it looked fine. The cushion? No, that's cotton... and then I got a look at Murray. With feather sticking out of HIS mouth. Luckily one of the things he actually does well is "drop!" on command.


Out of his mouth fell a slightly crushed, but very dead goldfinch. Both of the kids started screaming bloody murder, and then Isabel burst into tears because that birdy was her "favorite." Charlie alternately then started scolding Murray, telling him he was "bad!" and trying to make Iz feel better "Dese things happen, Izzy!" After freaking out for about 30 seconds, I got a paper towel, picked it up, and gave it a burial in our outside garbage.


Yeah, that was fun. Afterwards, the kids played outside while I made cookie dough for the sugar cookies to be brought to daycare. You'll be surprised and shocked to learn they have red frosting, I'm sure.


I need to get started cleaning my house for the party tomorrow - so we cleaned the den. I think I keep a clean house, and then I move furniture and see all that gets collected under it. Ech. It had been awhile, so I actually wanted to rearrange, too. Chuck helped with the wires (I play dumb. I could do it... but why when he's so willing?) and moving the heavy stuff.


Finally, after putting the kids to bed and finishing the little stuff, I actually baked and frosted the cookies.


Here's the recipe:


1 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

2 eggs

2 3/4 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon almond extract


Preheat oven to 375°F.


Cream butter add brown sugar; beat one minute. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.


Slowly add flour and baking soda, then almond extract.


Beat well for three minutes. Bake 10 minutes.




For frosting, I combine 2 cups of powdered sugar, 2 tsp vanilla extract, and 3 tbs water - food coloring as needed.


YUM

No comments: